Soils Latest News
- Soil framework Directive Withdrawn 22-05-14
- UK Soils Observatory website launched 15-04-14
- Mud on the road - what you need to know and NFU Briefing 09-12-13
- Soils for Profit project shows extent of soil compaction on South West farmland 26-11-13
Soils Management Best Practice
- The AHDB Potatoes have updated the 'Soil management for Potatoes' guide to help with the understanding of the practical principles of soil management.
- Scottish Soils Database and website. This is the first stop for data and information on one of Scotland’s key resources.
- Thinksoils helps farmers and farm advisers assess soil and recognise problems of erosion and runoff. The thinksoils guide can be accessed here. There is also a Quick guide that gives information on assessing soils to avoid erosion and runoff.
Guidance on managing the risk of:
AHDB Potatoes Soils Research Projects
- Live: R467 Soil Platform for Potatoes
- Live: R459 Improving Cultivation Practices in Potatoes
- Live: R444 Managing cultivations and cover crops
- Completed: R452 Soil Workability and Structural Stability
- Completed: R261 Review: Effects of Soil Compaction
- Completed: R260 Review: Soil Compaction and Potato Crops
- Completed: 807/226 Compost in Agriculture
Links to other Organisations and Publications
- Catchment Sensitive Farming - Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) delivers practical solutions and targeted support to enable farmers and land managers to take voluntary action to reduce diffuse water pollution from agriculture to protect water bodies and the environment.
- www.Defra.gov.uk - The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is a government department that makes policy, and legislation covering the environment, agriculture, sustainability and rural communities
- www.Environment-Agency.gov.uk - an Executive Non-departmental Public Body that aims to protect and improve the environment, and to promote sustainable development.
- www.Leafuk.org - Linking Environment and Farming, promoting sustainable food and farming. Leaf have also published Simply Sustainable Soils six simple steps for your soil to help improve the performance, health and long term sustainability of the land.
- www.NaturalEngland.org.uk - Natural England is the government's advisor on the natural environment. They provide advice on how best to safeguard England's natural environment
- www.naturalresourceswales.gov.uk/ - Natural Resources Wales has taken over the functions of the Countryside Council for Wales, Environment Agency Wales and Forestry Commission Wales, as well as some functions of Welsh Government. It aims to protect and improve the environment, and to promote sustainable development in Wales
- www.sepa.org.uk - The Scottish Environment Protection Agency is Scotlands environmental regulator and their main role is to protect and improve the environment